[Tagging] HOA-required names

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sat Dec 26 08:58:05 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-12-26 at 17:45 +0900, John Willis wrote:

> > On Dec 26, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:
> >
> > basically just someone's driveway
>
> It may not be an official name, as in an official city public road.
>
> But it is a named road. Even service roads can have names, and the
> private residential roads in a large housing complex are easy to name.
> Even long driveways to private residences can be labeled if the
> information is signed and needed by a person for proper routing.

>From what I could tell on the video, the road/driveway is not very long.
The HOA really shouldn't have required them to name it based on what
I've observed of HOAs here in (Harris, Fort Bend, and Montgomery
Counties in) Texas. It's quite possible Colorado is different.

> The only exception I would see to this is if it is just the homeowner's
> name. If it is any kind of ref or non-family name "Circle J Road", then
> it should be labeled.

My issue with labeling the road itself is that any navigation
device/software which uses OSM data may at some point read off that
long, silly name (which may well exceed the expected length as well). I
really do not want to see the horrible mess that Mapnik will probably
make trying to label it, either. (Or will it just not try if the name is
too long?)