[Tagging] HOA-required names

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Dec 26 09:31:22 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 2:58 AM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-12-26 at 17:45 +0900, John Willis wrote:
> >
> > > On Dec 26, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > basically just someone's driveway
> >
> > It may not be an official name, as in an official city public road.
> >
> > But it is a named road. Even service roads can have names, and the
> > private residential roads in a large housing complex are easy to name.
> > Even long driveways to private residences can be labeled if the
> > information is signed and needed by a person for proper routing.
>
> From what I could tell on the video, the road/driveway is not very long.
> The HOA really shouldn't have required them to name it based on what
> I've observed of HOAs here in (Harris, Fort Bend, and Montgomery
> Counties in) Texas. It's quite possible Colorado is different.

I'm not sure length or significance of the street matters on whether or not
it has a name.  Beaverton claims Short Street
<https://api.mapbox.com/v4/pauljohnson.mgo71men/page.html?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicGF1bGpvaG5zb24iLCJhIjoiYmYwOGE5OTdmODdhMjBkOTc3NjVjN2Q4ODNlNzBhM2UifQ.GsQqFIeUvV6OuJw2eah8iw#20/45.48850/-122.80669>
is
the shortest street in the world at 6'0", though I dispute Beaverton's
measurement as you can see the Google Car fits on the block
<https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4884393,-122.8067081,3a,75y,268.55h,74.74t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sWJpQ7PoY7ggygqJYEOHtrg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DWJpQ7PoY7ggygqJYEOHtrg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D148.75418%26pitch%3D0!7i3328!8i1664>
(barely), and most people barely notice the break in the curb between
Canyon Road and Beaverdam Road (which is essentially an alley, complete
with 15 MPH limit).  And since it's a private road (if you look at the Mapbox
aerial
<https://api.mapbox.com/v4/pauljohnson.mgo71men/page.html?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicGF1bGpvaG5zb24iLCJhIjoiYmYwOGE5OTdmODdhMjBkOTc3NjVjN2Q4ODNlNzBhM2UifQ.GsQqFIeUvV6OuJw2eah8iw#19/38.70813/-104.68175>,
there's actually two driveways off it, currently belonging to the same
property, but appears to be a stub for a potential small future
subdivision), that'd be about as official as it's going to get (for now),
and it's posted, so there's a ground truth to it (someone local to Colorado
Springs could confirm that the sign's been replaced, since presumably the
HOA gets the news).

> The only exception I would see to this is if it is just the homeowner's
> > name. If it is any kind of ref or non-family name "Circle J Road", then
> > it should be labeled.
>
> My issue with labeling the road itself is that any navigation
> device/software which uses OSM data may at some point read off that
> long, silly name (which may well exceed the expected length as well). I
> really do not want to see the horrible mess that Mapnik will probably
> make trying to label it, either. (Or will it just not try if the name is
> too long?)

This is something data consumers need to Just Deal With; zero-one-infinity
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_one_infinity_rule> should apply and
deal with such situations rationally.  At least my region is prone to
*extremely
long* names (and sometimes *extremely multiplexed* routes, hence why I keep
bringing up that we really should move to relations rather than way-tagging
refs for what can be handled with route=* relations, but there's another
thread about this).  Oklahoma named part of OK 66 Officer Larry W. Cantrell
and Mister Charles L. Cantrell Memorial Highway
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/288406184>, for example (and made me
doubletake when I saw the signs).  Why not a longer segment and a shorter
name (like the entire Sapulpa-Tulsa segment of 66 as just "Cantrell
Highway" and erect a monument along it is beyond me; I'm not the one who
sets the ground truth.  At least "A dog...pickle road" is fairly mnemonic
and iconic by contrast.