[Tagging] Landuse=forestRY?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 00:43:00 UTC 2015

Hi,
The present multiple applications landuse=forest has me thinking that a
new tag of

landuse=forestry

maybe best to focus this new tag onto a specific forest use - that of
wood production.

In the longer term the tag landuse=forest can eventually be depreciated
.. people can migrate the older tagged things into

Use;
landuse=forestry  for wood producing areas
leisure=nature_reserve for areas of nature preservation
natural=wood for areas covered with trees not used

(Personally I'd like to see all these incorporated into the landuse key.
landuse=nature_reserve and landuse=none (where there is no active use..
even for preservation))

Cover/presence;
landcover=trees for areas covered with trees

Rendering
The rendering of landuse=forestry should incorporate a brown axe onto
the original forest rendering to show that it is for wood production.

Mappers who simply come across an areas with trees (satellite of survey)
can simply tag landcover=trees. At present they tend to tag
landuse=forest. By making the choice landuse=forestry it should increase
the correct choice. This way they tag the truth - landcover=trees. The
detail of what it gets used for can come later.

? Comments ?
Yes I am also pushing the landcover key with the value trees ... looks
to be the right choice to me.