[Tagging] Landuse=forestRY?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 04:13:41 UTC 2015

On 27/12/2015 12:19 PM, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> I think you are overreaching a bit on this. For one thing, not all
> forests are for wood production - rubber tree plantations for example
> are for extracting sap from trees.

Had not thought of that.
Some trees produce nuts, others fruit .. they would be landuse=orchard.
With landcover=trees.

> Natural=wood seems perfectly correct to me for stands of trees in a
> more or less "natural" state whereas landcover=trees implies, at least
> to me, an area with planted trees that are not being used for sap, or
> lumber, etc., but more for their decorative or shading effect.

Err.. I think your confusing landUSE with landCOVER.

To me landcover=trees simply means there are trees there. It does not
say what they are used for.

So suitable tags for an area used for lumber would be
landuse=forestry
landcover=trees

An area of trees for decoration, recreation
landcover=trees
landuse=recreation ?

How are rubber trees tagged now? I would tag
landcover=trees
landuse=orchard ... ? Don't know. Possibly landuse=forestry with the
definition of trees used to produce products (e.g. wood), excluding
production of fruit/nuts (see orchard)?

> What's your motivation do do this?

Attempt to make clear what tags to use for a 'forest' ...

For example
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:landuse%3Dforest#Forest_vs_Wood
suggest the density of the plants is the distinguishing thing between
natural=wood and landuse=forest.

The implication of landuse=foresty is fairly clear?
And I hope be translated without too much blurring of the intention?