[Tagging] Landuse=forestRY?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 07:37:09 UTC 2015

Edit ... what I meant to say ... and some additions...

On 27/12/2015 3:13 PM, Warin wrote:
> On 27/12/2015 12:19 PM, Dave Swarthout wrote:
>> I think you are overreaching a bit on this. For one thing, not all
>> forests are for wood production - rubber tree plantations for example
>> are for extracting sap from trees.
>
> Had not thought of that.
> Some trees produce nuts, others fruit .. they would be
> landuse=orchard. With landcover=trees.
{add ..}  and some trees are used to produce oil e.g. sandalwood, tea
tree and eucalyptus oils. {/add}

>> Natural=wood seems perfectly correct to me for stands of trees in a
>> more or less "natural" state whereas landcover=trees implies, at
>> least to me, an area with planted trees that are not being used for
>> sap, or lumber, etc., but more for their decorative or shading effect.
>
> Err.. I think your confusing landUSE with landCOVER.
>
> To me landcover=trees simply means there are trees there. It does not
> say what they are used for.
>
> So suitable tags for an area used for lumber would be
> landuse=forestry
> landcover=trees
>
> An area of trees for decoration, recreation
> landcover=trees
> landuse=recreation ?
>
> How are rubber trees tagged now? I would tag
> landcover=trees
> landuse=orchard ... ? Don't know. Possibly landuse=forestry with the
> definition of

{edit} forestry  set to  'an area for the production of products from
trees (e.g. wood), excluding production of fruit/nuts (see orchard)'?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dorchard

There will need to be examples of the products.
And it should also document the ancillary things e.g. sawmills, drying
and storage sheds for possible inclusion.

{/edit}

>> What's your motivation do do this?
> area
> Attempt to make clear what tags to use for a 'forest' ...
{edit}

Document landuse=forestry such that it cannot be used for anything other
than forestry. (I hope! :-) )

Long term remove the present use of landuse=forest.

I have come across the problems while adding some National Parks, State
Forests and Conservation Areas that all had the tag landuse=forest on them.
I have changed that, but would like to see a reduction in the
possibility of future inappropriate tagging. {/edit}