[Tagging] Electronic or 'e' cigarettes?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 18:30:37 UTC 2015

On 01/02/2015, Tac Tacelosky <tacman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another legitimate terms for these shops is a "vape shop", and the practice
> of using any sort of electronic cigarette is now referred to as "vaping".
> This is a better term than "smoking", as the product emits vapors, not
> smoke.
>
> We are enthusiastic about seeing this term standardized, as many
> jurisdictions do not license or regulate vape shops in the same way they do
> places that sell cigarettes (and thus "e-cigarette" is a confusing term).
> Our research is often about tobacco shops, and vape shops, because they're
> not licensed, introduce a new wrinkle.

"vape" is not as established as the various forms of
"electronic_cigarette", I don't think it brings any clarity in the OSM
usecase.

Off-topic non-OSM: Sellers of electronic cigarettes have been playing
a naming game to ensure that they are not classified as tobacco, to
avoid the harsh tobacco laws and taxes. But, as less harmfull as this
product may be, they're still an addictive nicotin-based drug with
unwitting consumers. The legislation really should have started by
treating them the same as classic cigarettes and *then* loosen the
rules, not the other way around. But the e-cig lobby is visibly still
playing the naming game everywhere...