[Tagging] Wiki on amenity=waste_disposal Rewrite?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 00:36:14 UTC 2015

The problem is that "waste" as currently defined in the wiki refers to
things you want to dispose of that would come out of a home or office,
things like table scraps, cans and bottles, paper, discarded packaging
materials. My term for this is trash or garbage. These days much of that is
recycled, especially in certain environmentally aware communities, but
that's far from being the general case. As usual, there are differing
definitions for these terms depending on where you live and what you are
accustomed to.

If you rewrite the wiki definition of amenity=waste_disposal to include
sewage I think you'll invite a lot of extra discussion and run into a dead
end with your proposal. Using it with a subkey like waste=sewage might be a
better approach but then there needs to be a bunch of other waste=* subkeys
for recyclable items, paper items, etc.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Reading the wiki on key:amenity=waste_disposal
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_disposal
>
> says .. it is not for 'watery waste disposal' .. yet the key:waste says it
> is for 'watery waste disposal'!!!!
>
> It needs a rewrite into a sensible thing! That is consistent!   And does
> not reference old history but simply states what it it for and how to use
> it...
>
> Any objections to a rewrite .. you can if you wish leave it to me .. (with
> possible speeelin errors and auto corrections) ?

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand