[Tagging] Wiki on amenity=waste_disposal Rewrite?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 01:05:19 UTC 2015

The key:amenity=waste_disposal has a sub key
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waste where some of the things
you mention as stated. These presently are;

  * *waste*=trash
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Dtrash&action=edit&redlink=1>
    - (for trash/rubbish)
  * *waste*=excrement
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Dexcrement&action=edit&redlink=1>
    - (for /excrement evacuation systems/ for boats)
  * *waste*=oil
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Doil&action=edit&redlink=1>
    - (for motoroil, diesel and emulsions)
  * *waste*=chemical_toilet
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Dchemical_toilet&action=edit&redlink=1>
    - (for chemical toilets)
  * *waste*=grey_water
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Dgrey_water&action=edit&redlink=1>
    - (for soapy water, like from showers and dish washing)
  * *waste*=drugs
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Ddrugs&action=edit&redlink=1>
    - to subtag a special container for the collection of
    pharmaceuticals / medicine / drugs
  * *waste*=organic
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Dorganic&action=edit&redlink=1>

  * *waste*=plastic
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Dplastic&action=edit&redlink=1>

  * *waste*=rubble
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Drubble&action=edit&redlink=1>

  * *waste*=scrap_metal
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waste%3Dscrap_metal&action=edit&redlink=1>

The key:waste=excrement already exists as a sub tag under
amenity=waste_disposal but the main page is not consistent with that ..

Either the main page is wrong to exclude excrement OR the waste page is
wrong to include it. Take your pick.I vote for excrement on the main
wiki page, not for its exclusion.

The main page also mentions "A place where canal boaters, caravaners
etc. can dispose of rubbish (trash/waste)."  better expressed as "A
place where people can dispose of waste."?There are a few of these kind
of statements that are tending to exclude things .. when there is no
alternative and where the key:waste= includes them.

I'd think bins dedicated to recycling would be better tagged using the
existing amenity=recycling
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Drecycling .