[Tagging] Access restrictions for shoulder lanes?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 3 11:58:05 UTC 2015

OK so it is a kind of buffer to keep the motorised traffic out of the
way of the bikes. Are there any circumstances under which any kind of
vehicle is permitted to be in that lane (while it is not a turn lane)?

That sounds too complex for highway=primary (or whatever) and
cycleway=lane. Leveraging the lanes tagging system, we could have
something like yield motor_vehicle:lanes=yes|yes|no|no and
bicycle:lanes=no|no|no|yes.

On 2015-02-03 12:45, Martin Vonwald wrote:

> Yesterday I had the following case on a dual carriageway - lanes from left to right: * two regular lanes * one shoulder * one bicycle lane
>
> Sometimes the shoulder changes to a turning lane and back to a shoulder after a junction. There is no physical separation whatsoever of all those four lanes. Additional bicycle lanes may also be present.
>
> Regards, Martin

> Unless I'm way off, maybe a gore point? Transition into a traditional toll plaza?
>
> On Feb 3, 2015 5:30 AM, "Colin Smale" <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> A shoulder lane in the middle of the carriageway? Maybe you can illustrate your scenario.
>
> Under normal circumstances (one way per carriageway) shoulder=left/right/both should cover it.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "shoulder"?
>
> On 2015-02-03 12:23, Martin Vonwald wrote:

> That's an easy one: shoulder=yes.
> Can you please explain to me, how this answers the question WHERE the shoulder is? It does NOT have to be the leftmost or rightmost lane.

Links:
------