[Tagging] How to tag a cistern?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Feb 3 19:33:10 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:35 AM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>
wrote:

> On February 3, 2015 3:05:53 AM CST, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 2, 2015 3:11 PM, "Clifford Snow" <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:

>> cistern is a holding tank for captured rain water, used as an alternative
>> to a well in areas where no city water supply is available. They often take
>> the form of an underground pit with a waterproof lining.
>> >

>> > I've also seen them on the coast of Alaska in above ground tanks to
>> catch rain water.
>>
>> Above ground is common in the midwest for various reasons (freezing,
>> contamination, maintenance, excavation of solid rock) that often arise.

> It seems like an above-ground tank would be more prone to freezing, not
> less. I have lived in two houses that had cisterns, although neither one
> was still in use.

In this climate, yes, but at least you know about it in, say, January, and
can hit Southern Ag for a suitable replacement before it thaws, and don't
find out about it the hard way in, say, September during the hottest,
driest part of the year, with pretty much the only alternatives being
buying a water cooler and buying bottled water by the 5-gallon vat for a
few months or buying another cistern and a (few?) hundred gallons to refill
it with...