[Tagging] How to tag a cistern?

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Feb 3 15:35:22 UTC 2015

On February 3, 2015 3:05:53 AM CST, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2015 3:11 PM, "Clifford Snow" <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:54 PM, John F. Eldredge
> <john at jfeldredge.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Once again, we are divided by a common language. In American usage,
> cistern is a holding tank for captured rain water, used as an
> alternative
> to a well in areas where no city water supply is available. They often
> take
> the form of an underground pit with a waterproof lining.
> >

> > I've also seen them on the coast of Alaska in above ground tanks to
> catch
> rain water.
>
> Above ground is common in the midwest for various reasons (freezing,
> contamination, maintenance, excavation of solid rock) that often
> arise.

It seems like an above-ground tank would be more prone to freezing, not less. I have lived in two houses that had cisterns, although neither one was still in use.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.