[Tagging] Wiki on amenity=waste_disposal Rewrite?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 01:04:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean a one step? Like highway= x ?
>
> To do that I'd think a new supper key   waste=   at the top level! And
> maybe that is what it needs! If there are enough different kinds then why
> not?
> waste=rubbish_bin
> waste=skip_bin
> waste=dump_point
> waste=chemical_toilet
> waste=dog_excrement
> waste=sharps
> waste=cigarettes
> waste=excrement
>
> What does it take to justify a top level tag?

I think he means that if we use a top level amenity tag like
amenity=waste_disposal we are forced to make another whole set of sub keys
to describe the waste being disposed of. At least that's where my criticism
comes from. If however we can agree on a tag of amenity=dump_point and
define it as "a facility where one can dump or discharge the waste tanks of
an RV or recreational boat" it can be understood and rendered by evaluating
only that single tag.

Whether the waste being dumped is from a "chemical toilet" or from a
plastic bag on a "porta-potty" or "cassette"  then becomes irrelevant. The
facility will handle it.

This new top level tag might make the approval process easier too. Standing
alone as it would, it nicely separates garbage and trash, or recyclables,
from sewage and doesn't require any other potentially lengthy approvals for
new subkeys.

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska