[Tagging] Wiki on amenity=waste_disposal Rewrite?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 08:31:51 UTC 2015

On 5/02/2015 12:04 PM, Dave Swarthout wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     You mean a one step? Like highway= x ?
>
>     To do that I'd think a new supper key   waste=   at the top level!
>     And maybe that is what it needs! If there are enough different
>     kinds then why not?
>     waste=rubbish_bin
>     waste=skip_bin
>     waste=dump_point
>     waste=chemical_toilet
>     waste=dog_excrement
>     waste=sharps
>     waste=cigarettes
>     waste=excrement
>
>     What does it take to justify a top level tag?
>

> I think he means that if we use a top level amenity tag like
> amenity=waste_disposal we are forced to make another whole set of sub
> keys to describe the waste being disposed of. At least that's where my
> criticism comes from. If however we can agree on a tag of
> amenity=dump_point and define it as "a facility where one can dump or
> discharge the waste tanks of an RV or recreational boat" it can be
> understood and rendered by evaluating only that single tag.
>
> Whether the waste being dumped is from a "chemical toilet" or from a
> plastic bag on a "porta-potty" or "cassette"  then becomes irrelevant.
> The facility will handle it.
>
> This new top level tag might make the approval process easier too.
> Standing alone as it would, it nicely separates garbage and trash, or
> recyclables, from sewage and doesn't require any other potentially
> lengthy approvals for new subkeys.
The present sub tag already exists and is in use .. for oil, cigarettes,
grey_water, drugs, dog_excrement, etc .. so they still have to be
evaluated for a true render of the facility. If what is required is a
one tag entry for each waste type then amenity= will be over loaded eg

amenity=waste_dog_excrement
amenity=waste_cigarettes
amenity=waste_sharps

Note the inclusion of waste in the name .. so people don't think that
they are places that sell the stuff! :)

about 8 + around 28! if you include waste recycling...
  and I think it then needs to be a top level tag .. like shop=,
tourism=. sport= etc. as there are too many of them .. and that would be
opposed as it is a lot of work to change the present data and a lot of
work to change the renders... at least another category of amenity ...
presently

  * 2.1 Sustenance
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity#Sustenance>
  * 2.2 Education <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity#Education>
  * 2.3 Transportation
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity#Transportation>
  * 2.4 Financial <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity#Financial>
  * 2.5 Healthcare
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity#Healthcare>
  * 2.6 Entertainment, Arts & Culture
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity#Entertainment.2C_Arts_.26_Culture>
  * 2.7 Others <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity#Others>

Add  '2.8 Waste'?  I don't know.. just pointing out the possible future
problems?