[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Reception Desk

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Fri Feb 6 15:52:57 UTC 2015

On February 6, 2015 9:37:20 AM CST, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> On 06.02.2015 12:16, Dan S wrote:
> > However it occurs to me that it would be useful to have some way of
> > indicating _what_ it is the reception for. For example, if it was
> part
> > of a "site" relation*, then a role like role=reception would connect
> > it to the larger entity in a meaningful way. That might be a
> suggested
> > tagging option...
>
> I believe this is not necessary as long as the reception is contained
> in
> only one outline of a relevant feature (hotel, motel etc.), which will
> cover almost all cases. Of course, for the special cases you could use
> relation, but that should be limited to those cases.
>
> What I consider a bit odd, by the way, is the amenity key. Receptions
> are usually not amenities by themselves, but instead part of an
> amenity.
> Perhaps a new key for this kind of sub-feature would be in order?

One circumstance where the relation would be useful would be if you were mapping an office building, and wanted to map both the reception desk for the entire building, and also reception desks for individual office suites within that building. This is a common circumstance when a building contains offices for several different companies.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.