[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - traffic_signals (Lukas Schaus)

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Feb 10 11:46:51 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 11:09 +0000, AYTOUN RALPH wrote:
> My feelings....is this not something for a separate study by someone
> rather than a feature on OSM? Keeping this kind of information updated
> will be an impossibility....many cities are becoming "computerised"
> and the signals adjusted according to the traffic conditions along
> that road. At best the timings could be either static or variable.

I think most cities traffic lights became computer controlled in the
1970s, they have certainly been remotely operated by an operator using
CCTV since then.

Even back in the 1960s there were pressure tubes to detect traffic and
adjust sequences, during the 70s they were replaced by wireloops in the
road.

Even with the simplest set of traffic lights, the timing will depend on
the amount of traffic and whether a pedestrian has pressed the button
hence adding the pedestrian phase.

I think this is far to complicated to be included in OSM and any data
will rapidly become stale.

Phil (trigpoint)