[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - traffic_signals (Lukas Schaus)

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 10 20:29:06 UTC 2015

Still do not see any need for a relation once we have micromapped enough
and this should be the prior quest.

What I totally miss are options for operating_time. I won't be able to
tag the phase as many other did already mention but I can tell you the
times when traffic_signals are usually operating.

Guess people might already use opening_hours but I rather prefer
operating_time.

Am 10.02.2015 um 14:33 schrieb Lukas Schaus:
> fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com,  Mon Feb 9 15:47:00 UTC 2015
>> You did not comment on my question about micromapping a junction and
>> adding a highway=traffic_signal at the pedestrian crossing or the stop
>> line for each direction separately. Have a look at the examples below
>> [1],[2].
>>
>> For complete direction separated junctions like [3] we probable will not
>> even need any relation.
>>
>> Please, consider this tagging style and show me how this will work
>> together with your proposal.
>>
>> Altogether, I am not sure if this relation is needed at all but for sure
>> not at the current base.
>>
>> Still would prefer simple tags on the nodes if possible.
>>
>> cu fly
>>
>> [1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/48.10739/7.85080
>> [2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/48.06123/7.81258
>> [3] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/47.98530/7.82814
> I am sorry i did not see your question,
> If the traffic signals are mapped at the stop line or the pedestrian
> crossing this scheme works still perfectly. the From way is the way the
> signal is at and the direction can be specified by forward or backward.
> Simple Tags on the nodes only work with this scheme mentioned by you.
> With intersections where the signal is mapped at the crossing of 2 roads
> it is not working. Why would there no relation needed in 3?
>
> AYTOUN RALPH ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com, Tue Feb 10 11:09:16 UTC 2015
>> My feelings....is this not something for a separate study by someone
>> rather
>> than a feature on OSM? Keeping this kind of information updated will
>> be an
>> impossibility....many cities are becoming "computerised" and the signals
>> adjusted according to the traffic conditions along that road. At best the
>> timings could be either static or variable.
>
> That is why we kept the mapping of the phases simple and not accurate.
> These values shall give an idea on how long a total cycle of the
> traffic_signal is and an average of green time or the proportion between
> red and green time. These two information are very helpful for simulations.
> Please note that the phases tag is only one part of the proposal. at
> least as important is the ability to define to-ways for the signal.
> Knowing this other traffic_signals on the way can be ignored since they
> are not of concern for the turning vehicle. Also the defined connection
> of a turn_lane to its destination is a major benefit from this scheme

So we need at least tags for these situations like button operated and
psv-priority and so on.

cu fly