[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - temperature

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 05:04:25 UTC 2015

On 6/02/2015 11:22 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> There are cases where an approximate temperature is more useful than a
> single scalar number.
> For example a drinking fountain may be "chilled", but not operating at
> a single fixed temperature.
> Similarly there's a big difference in a tropical climate between a
> building with A/C and one without.
> And a mountain hut with a fireplace, compared to one without.  Neither
> can be expressed well as a temperature=.
>
> In many cases what matters is the ability to warm or cool from
> ambient.  A/C give you the ability to
> make a room cooler than ambient, but not hotter.  A fireplace the
> opposite.  Thus perhaps instead:
>
> heated=yes
> cooled=no
>
> Could apply to pools, spas, hotel rooms, water taps.

A hotel room that has air conditioning may be both heated or cooled
depending on the desired temperature and the ambient temperature (and
the air conditioner). It usually supplies a measure of fresh air too. I
think that this should be considered as part of the building .. and a
sub tag developed for that?

A heated pool would be warm, cooled would be cool? Same with spars and
taps..

If adjustable, e.g. as most showers are, then the tag
'temperature=adjustable' is part of this proposal...

----------------------------

I have done a number of changes ...

A) Removed the Kelvin as a unit for data entry.

B) The water tap  labelled 'cold' issue. For tagging I think this should
be labelled 'ambient'. I have added a note about it, and added words
that cold means colder that ambient .. similar words have been added for
the other subjective terms. Should examples of the relevant subjective
values be added to aid there use?

C) Removed the safety references. Boiling water of 0.5 gram would do
little harm to the palm of the hand, a 1kg bit of metal at 75 C would
cause burns... so the safety is not all about temperature.