[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - temperature

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 21:59:45 UTC 2015

On 12/02/2015 3:45 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     A hotel room that has air conditioning may be both heated or
>     cooled depending on the desired temperature and the ambient
>     temperature (and the air conditioner). It usually supplies a
>     measure of fresh air too. I think that this should be considered
>     as part of the building .. and a sub tag developed for that?
>

> In fact I think this is the key interesting characteristic to map:
>  does it have a chiller or heater at all?
> The specific temperature is likely set by the user, or varies by the
> season, and thus is a poor choice for a database key value.
>

> Either the substance is supplied at local ambient, or a facility is
> made to raise or lower the temperature:
>
>  heated=yes
>  cooled=no

Most air conditioners here have the ability to both heat and cool at
least here and in the UK.

The temperature in large offices, hotels here are usually set centrally
.. not by the guest or local worker.

Why do you consider heated and cooled an 'interesting characteristic'
and how do you see it being rendered on to a map? Is it more
'important/significant' than the suggested temperature values? If so ..
why has it not been proposed?

I'd think that the vast majority will be interested in;
showers that are 'adjustable' in the conventional sense (yet to come
across a chilled water facility on a shower),
the temperature of water that comes out of a tap (hot, 'cold' or
boiling). Note thta boiling is different to hot, boiling can be used to
make tea/coffee, hot is not good for making tea/coffee.

>     A heated pool would be warm, cooled would be cool? Same with spars
>     and taps..
>
>     If adjustable, e.g. as most showers are, then the tag
>     'temperature=adjustable' is part of this proposal...
>

> Frequently it's adjustable just one way.  For example we have water
> heaters for showers, but a water chiller is exceptionally rare.
>
> 'temperature=adjustable' does not capture it really.  A hotel room
> with a heater but no cooler for example is "adjustable", but
> not a good place to go when it's 100F and humid.

Usually the adjustably provides for local conditions .. it would be rare
to want to reduce a showers temperature below the ambient. In some parts
of Asia the locals don't use showers for this reason - they use a scoop
of water to wet the body, the interval between scoops provide a time
where water evaporates thus providing cooling. Cheap, effective and
efficient. Would you label this 'cooled=yes'?I note that OSM does not
have a tag for this kind of washing facility.