[Tagging] building=yes on nodes?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sat Feb 14 11:23:39 UTC 2015

I see nothing wrong with building=* on a node, used 772612 times.

Typical cases are:

- somebody collects house numbers along a road, but has no access
   to the geometry. Thus she can use plain addr: tags on unbuilt
   properties, and add building=* where a building is visible.

- aerial imagery of lower resolution, where the buildings are
   just distinguishable but

Buildings on nodes used to be rendered in the tiles-at-home style.
It was recently discussed on carto for the main map, but decided
not to in order to encourage mapping the geometry.

But it should still be considered correct tagging.

I noticed in the history there seem to be conflicting opinions
about relations as well, some see multipolygons as relation and
some not.

tom