[Tagging] building=yes on nodes?

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Feb 14 12:16:48 UTC 2015

On 14.02.2015 12:23, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> I see nothing wrong with building=* on a node, used 772612 times.

Which is still only 0.006 of all buildings.

Personally, I don't think building nodes are really useful. They are
little more than a formalized note, as most applications using buildings
will want areas.

But as long as there is no confusion that areas are always desirable,
and that building nodes are a temporary solution waiting for more
detailed mapping, allowing nodes will hopefully not cause problems.

> I noticed in the history there seem to be conflicting opinions
> about relations as well, some see multipolygons as relation and
> some not.

After a long and exhausting discussion, this is now clearly defined in
the documentation of the respective templates. The area icon does cover
multipolygon relations.