[Tagging] building=yes on nodes?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 15:57:30 UTC 2015

I must chime in on this discussion. I disagree with Tobias' view. Some of
us are mapping in areas with very low resolution imagery. Yet, if a house
is visible, especially in remote regions, I want to be able to map it even
if it's not clear enough or large enough to have a shape drawn. I have
mapped such habitations with a node and find it very useful. JOSM even
obliges by rendering them with a small house icon. I also map petrol
stations with a single node. It holds all the critical information a
motorist might need and is a quick and easy way to add important
information to OSM. I am not going to start drawing each petrol station in
Thailand, where I do most of my mapping, because frankly I believe my
mapping energy could be used much more fruitfully in other ways. I'm
content to let those sorts of enhancements wait until we have all the roads
and water features added.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> On 14.02.2015 12:23, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> > I see nothing wrong with building=* on a node, used 772612 times.
>
> Which is still only 0.006 of all buildings.
>
> Personally, I don't think building nodes are really useful. They are
> little more than a formalized note, as most applications using buildings
> will want areas.
>
> But as long as there is no confusion that areas are always desirable,
> and that building nodes are a temporary solution waiting for more
> detailed mapping, allowing nodes will hopefully not cause problems.
>
> > I noticed in the history there seem to be conflicting opinions
> > about relations as well, some see multipolygons as relation and
> > some not.
>
> After a long and exhausting discussion, this is now clearly defined in
> the documentation of the respective templates. The area icon does cover
> multipolygon relations.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand