[Tagging] Change of rendering: place of worship and, terminal without building tag

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Sun Feb 15 12:19:51 UTC 2015

On 15/02/2015 11:17, Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> I find that landuse=churchyard vs.
> landuse=religious+religion=christian have
> the same meaning, with the advantage that the latter works multicultural.

No.

If you read back up through this and previous threads, you'll see that
"landuse=religious" simply has no meaning at all to many people, whereas
"landuse=churchyard" (in the context of the British English language
used in OSM) clearly has a well-defined meaning. Ask someone to describe
a "churchyard", and they'll be able to.  Ask someone to describe a
"religious landuse" and they probably won't be able to (but like I said
and the example that I gave, there may well be places where it's still
the best fit).

As I said in the changeset discussion here

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25035328

If someone's surveyed a place and thinks that it is best tagged as
landuse=churchyard then it is NOT an "accepted style of mapping" for
someone to change that based on aerial imagery, simply based on
discussions on the tagging list. We map what we see and what we know;
the strength of Openstreetmap is its local mappers.

For the avoidance of doubt, this doesn't mean that the area around a
non-Christian place of worship should be tagged as a "churchyard" -
local mappers should be allowed to pick the thing that best describes
their local situation.  Having never been to all of the different kinds
places of worship on all continents I can't prescribe what that is, and
if you haven't you shouldn't too.

Best Regards,

Andy Townsned