[Tagging] high mobile masts on man_made=mast

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 10:32:28 UTC 2015

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > I've been taught that a mast is usually not self supporting, ie. has
>> guy wires while a tower is self supporting.
>

> +1
>
> Also, the wiki definition needs changing IMO. Maybe they meant to say, a
> few meters in diameter.

Thing is that in German we have (slightly) different usage of these terms,
there are the words

- "Turm" (tower in some cases): typically something accessible by humans
(with stairs, not just a ladder), if its masonry it will always be a
"Turm", while steel lattice could be either, but for power towers, these
will never be called "Turm" in German but "Mast"

- "Mast" something not accessible (except maintenance by technicians,
typically no stairs but just a ladder), can be guy wired, but doesn't have
to (used e.g. for most technical installations like support for antennas,
street lamps (i.e. also cases where English uses the words "pole", "pylon"
or "rod"), ships, flags, telco wires, power towers, ...

de:"Mast" is always something tall and thin, while de:"Turm" is always
accessible, but can also be not very high (e.g. defensive towers of ancient
fortifications in some cases).

The current definition in the wiki almost reflects this German usage 100%
(no wonder, apparently written by a German), but not completely because
there are very high guy wired structures like antennas, e.g. this one would
be called "Mast" in German:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVLY-TV_mast

I think the main difference is that a "Mast" cannot be entered, while a
"Turm" is intended to be entered by humans.

Cheers,
Martin