[Tagging] high mobile masts on man_made=mast

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 16 12:33:27 UTC 2015

Am 16.02.2015 um 11:32 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

>>> guy wires while a tower is self supporting.
>>
>> +1

-1
Usually depends on the construction and height.

>> Also, the wiki definition needs changing IMO. Maybe they meant to say, a
>> few meters in diameter.

+1
We have height=*.

How to we define the difference between mast and pole ?
Do we need support=mast ?

> Thing is that in German we have (slightly) different usage of these terms,
> there are the words
>
> - "Turm" (tower in some cases): typically something accessible by humans
> (with stairs, not just a ladder), if its masonry it will always be a
> "Turm", while steel lattice could be either, but for power towers, these
> will never be called "Turm" in German but "Mast"
>
> - "Mast" something not accessible (except maintenance by technicians,
> typically no stairs but just a ladder), can be guy wired, but doesn't have
> to (used e.g. for most technical installations like support for antennas,
> street lamps (i.e. also cases where English uses the words "pole", "pylon"
> or "rod"), ships, flags, telco wires, power towers, ...
>
> de:"Mast" is always something tall and thin, while de:"Turm" is always
> accessible, but can also be not very high (e.g. defensive towers of ancient
> fortifications in some cases).
>
> The current definition in the wiki almost reflects this German usage 100%
> (no wonder, apparently written by a German), but not completely because
> there are very high guy wired structures like antennas, e.g. this one would
> be called "Mast" in German:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVLY-TV_mast
>
> I think the main difference is that a "Mast" cannot be entered, while a
> "Turm" is intended to be entered by humans.

Be careful some mast as support for wind generators might be entered.

Thought antenna vs mast might be a problem but not mast vs tower.

Cheers fly