[Tagging] Change of rendering: place of worship and, terminal without building tag

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Feb 16 21:51:37 UTC 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 17, 2015, at 1:50 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So far I have not experienced a problem with adding "religion" and "denomination" tags to features operated by a religious community and have continued to use the same landuse I'd use otherwise on the same kind of feature (if any). What would I gain by adding "landuse=religious"?
>>
>> To map the _grounds_ of religious facilities where the predominant use is worship, and support facilities for the meeting and rituals and various things happen.
>

> OK, I think I finally understood the definition, and I agree that landuse=religious is a fine tag for these (e.g. including the parking of the church). IMHO the wiki page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dreligious should be corrected to be as explicit as you have been here today.

I'll try to update the wiki today (though I wasn't involved with this page's creation) and I'll ask for feedback here when I am done.

> The words "ground of religious facilities" and "predominant use of worship" are crucial here IMHO --- for instance a place where the politics or administration of a church are managed won't qualify under this definition (but should be tagged as commercial I guess, right? We could still add a religion tag there).
>
> Still there will be some strangeness in some cases, as we already have established landuse=cemetery, which might also qualify in some cases for landuse=religious.

Although the churches in California I know of do not have a cemetery on the grounds, every single temple here in Japan does - even the ones in Tokyo, so finding a very old cemetery hemmed in by a 25 story building, a train line, a river, and residential housing (and still on the temple grounds) is common.

There are stand-alone cemeteries as well, and most neighborhoods have little tiny 5x5m or so somewhat private cemeteries everywhere (every 2-300m or so) over all of Japan, so I am not saying they are all landuse=religious, but some larger ones on the temple grounds certainly are, and it is an "amenity" of the temple - it's a big deal/expense to have a family grave on the temple grounds.

Can you have nested landuses? It is clearly part of the temple grounds, and clearly a cemetery. I would tag it that way, but I don't know if I'm breaking done rule by doing that.

Javbw