[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - parking=storage: additional values for key parking

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Feb 20 08:32:56 UTC 2015

> On Feb 20, 2015, at 12:04 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20/02/2015 1:22 PM, johnw wrote:
>> I think he’s trying to say that “a storage amenity” is different from "a parking amenity”, because it is not something you would seek out on the map when looking for parking (even long term airport parking, i think) - but rather something you’d seek out when looking for a storage facility for your vehicle, where the vehicle spends most of it’s life parked, instead of (illegally) in front of your house.
>
> But the proposal says it uses the same rendering as other amenity=parking ...

Sorry, I was an idiot, I was reading the comments but neglected the actual proposal. You’re right.

However, to me, this is a service that assists you with storage of what happens to be a vehicle (AKA a commercial service) so it either is a business or a retail establishment service - not a parking amenity - it has very different access expectations ( you can’t walk up to it, you can’t access it, you need to arrange ahead of time to access it if it is a business).

A long term storage lot is parking for the storage business - which is totally covered by parking + private - but I thought he was trying to define the “Vehecle Storage business” - and I commented that it is also an amenity for certain facilities and complexes.

The “service” of storing the Vehicle is a business beyond providing local parking - and like a car mechanic or a car wash, services *to the car for the owner* should be somehow reflected in a business sense - not through a variation of the parking lot itself.

It’s hard to convey the difference between parking and storage, but it feels like that difference belongs outside the parking tag.

> amenity=vehicle_storage?

That would be good for a private space provided in a larger facility to it’s patrons (like a Planned community)- That would mean it can’t be amenity=parking, right?

How would you define it as a business?

Most "money for services” - like a hair dresser are under the shop=• tag, Even car repair - which is similarly a place you take your car and pay for a service performed to it (which can be labor-only), so I thought making a new value for shop=* would be a natural choice.

In summary:

Amenity=Vehicle_storage sounds great for when it is an amenity of a lager facility
shop=vehicle_storage sounds great for a business that offers this service.

If you are looking for Vehicle storage services, a bunch of arrows popping up on lots in planned communities and military bases that you can never use isn’t very useful.

Javbw.