[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - parking=storage: additional values for key parking

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 03:04:00 UTC 2015

On 20/02/2015 1:22 PM, johnw wrote:
> I think he’s trying to say that “a storage amenity” is different from
> "a parking amenity”, because it is not something you would seek out on
> the map when looking for parking (even long term airport parking, i
> think) - but rather something you’d seek out when looking for a
> storage facility for your vehicle, where the vehicle spends most of
> it’s life parked, instead of (illegally) in front of your house.

But the proposal says it uses the same rendering as other
amenity=parking ...

> But I think the mapping of the actual parking lot would still be done
> with the amenity=parking tag (access private), and the land would be
> landuse=retail, with a shop=storage tag?

Some 'storage shops' here sell bags and boxes for storing stuff in.. not
space for stuff to be stored in.
  'Storage facilities'   .. for storage of stuff would be the
description here..
> perhaps shop=vehicle_storage, because some people store boats, planes,
> etc, and is different than a storage locker rental, unless there is
> some kind of storage=*key to define what kind of storage the shop
> rents out (lockers, rooms, garages, vehicle parking, yes) - some
> storage facilities offer all of them in a single facility.
>

> maybe amenity:parking=vehicle_storage ?
>
> or amenity=parking + storage=vehicle_storage .
>
> my ideas.

amenity=vehicle_storage?

> javbw

Note the page mentions 'reliable storage'  .. I'd think the reliability
would not be assessed by OSM... nor that kind of information put in the
data base ... too many problems with it. I personally have a tendency
not to map those places with a poor reputation...