[Tagging] Deprecating aerialway=goods

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 11:56:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 06:05:40PM +0100, Pieren wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Richard Z. <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How is routing software supposed to know that some aerialway=goods are
> > actually taking passengers?
>
> like roads tagged with "access=no" or "private". Or
> "highway=pedestrian" not allowed for cars. We create simple tags for
> the average contributors, not to simplify routing software dev's life.

perfect, so we do actually agree that normal access keys should be used.
Incidentally I believe this will also greatly help routing software which
should understand access keys anyways.

I am not doing this to help routing software but to do the "right thing"
- orthogonalize tagging by reusing already well established keys and apply
them to aerialways instead of reinventing endless variations of them.

As of "usage=*", I think it can be still used in addition to access keys
where it makes sense.
The railways also have railway:traffic_mode=passenger/mixed/freight which
might also be interesting to ship, aerialways and similar if it wasn't for
the "railway:" prefix.

Richard