[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - key:waste_collection

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 21:54:10 UTC 2015

On 22/02/2015 4:09 AM, Marc Gemis wrote:
> re; http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/waste_collection
>
> I don't see how this proposal is any better than the current
> amenity=recycling tag with all its subtags.

Better.. hmm ..
  It is one level up .. so more prominent
It is combined with other waste things - thus easier to find for both
mapper and render
The sub tags used for both non recycled and recycled would be the same -
thus making a simpler system .. for both mapper and render

Does it harm the present recycling tagging? Or simply replaces it?
> I understand that some waste containers are not covered by the
> recycling tags, but why would you drop the complete recycling scheme ?
> I don't get it.

Using tag info .. there are few used ...
  lots of =glass (and glass_bottles)
  =paper
=cloths
=cans

A few recycling_types ... mostly container, centre etc

> Isn't it possible to introduce a parallel scheme for waste (things
> that cannot be recycled), without touching the current amenity=recycling ?

Possible... yes. But why would you? The good thing about combining them
is that they are very similar;
would use the same sub tags eg volume
would make mapping them easier - same main tag used
would make rendering easier - same main tag used, same sub tags used

> regards
>
> m.

If I come across a waste bin .. but I don't know if it is for recycling
.. I can map it with this scheme ... and simply leave off the
recycling=yes tag .. as both recycling=yes and recycling-=no are simple
sub tags under the waste_collection scheme it becomes much easier to tag
it later with any knowledge of its recycling status... Where as separate
schemes will become disjointed - with different tags used and thus
harder to retag from one to the other.

That help?