[Tagging] tag for portages?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 04:48:57 UTC 2015

On 22/02/2015 2:21 PM, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> Tagging the relation containing the parts of the route is not the issue.
>
> I am referring to the "ways" that represent the actual track a canoe
> would take to traverse a lake. It is a type of path but it is on
> water, sort of like a ferry route. For example, the most direct route
> across a lake might not be the best. You might want to go around an
> island's leeward side rather than to windward. Drawing a line or way
> across the lake and around the island to show this path is easy. But
> how then do you tag it? It's not a highway and it's not a ferry track.
> What exactly is it?

If you used the same kind of scheme ferries use, then renders will
already have some idea of what to do with it..

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ferry

thus;
canoe=trunk
canoe=unclassified
etc.

but it will need a wiki page .. and RFC RFV here if you like too.

For me .. what is windward today would be leeward tomorrow.