[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - parking=storage: additional values for key parking

johnw johnw at mac.com
Tue Feb 24 00:53:19 UTC 2015

> On Feb 24, 2015, at 2:26 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> a restaurant doesn't "sell food" as its main activity, it provides a service (cooking and table service, offering nice dishes and ambience, etc.).

Martin - you always have a very keen eye for exactly the right word usage. You are right.

it sells *cooked* food to consume, so it sells meals - dishes.  and in the price of the food is an implicit agreement that you are allowed to be on the premises to consume it, for the most part.

I rarely go to a restaurant for admiring it’s atmosphere - if it din’t sell meals, I wouldn’t be there.

A butcher or a market’s primary purpose sells raw ingredients - “food” -  in order to make meals.

But that is still a shop that sells meals. but the change of this word has no bearing on the argument I laid out.

The toilets, the parking, smoking area, the benches, the baby changing station - maybe even the “bar” in the restaurant are amenities of the the restaurant -

rather than looking at the restaurant as an amenity of the neighborhood.

Amenities are part of a location - and the location is a shop. OSM seems to have shifted it’s tagging focus from city level to street and now to building level, as more and more data types are discussed.

look at the tags discussed here - water taps being the most contentious for the past month or so - it is mapping these small “location” amenities.

the tagging structure should reflect that change of focus - and classifying some shops as shops and some as amenities is quite confusing and goes against the more narrow focus.

Javbw