Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Feb 24 04:23:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/02/2015 9:13 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>
> Forget the fee.
>

> What about "official" vs. "unofficial".
> A campsite supported by the landowner may be fee or not.
>
> A habitually used camp spot may have a home on OSM, but should be
> marked as "not supported by the landowner or land manager".
> Same for unofficial trails.
>

> Define 'unofficial'?

Not speaking for Bryce, however, I could see a usage case for something
like this.  For example, in my 20s I used to go 4x4 in Mt. Hood National
Forest *all the time*.  And throughout the MHNF, especially once you
crossed the Cascade divide at roughly the meridian of Mt. Hood's peak, and
were therefore also on the dry side of the range, people can and do camp
wherever they damn well please.  There's hundreds, if not thousands, of
tiny, unofficial camp sites not associated with any campground that have no
facilities (except for perhaps a fire pit and a wide spot to unload your
truck and pitch a tent), and due to the fact you're having to hump in your
own water, hump out your own trash, and dig your own latrine, no fee.  The
Forest Service doesn't really know where they are or keep track of them
beyond the collective knowledge of the USFS Rangers, they're just there
because enough people have camped in the same spot.