Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 09:59:17 UTC 2015

> they're just there because enough people have camped in the same spot.

+0,9
actually people (if not completely ignorant) tend to camp in spots that are
suitable to do so. Those will not be the only possibility, naturally, but
they will typically provide good conditions (view, even terrain, enough
space, protected from wind and weather, sunny / shady, accessible, ...), so
even if those spots are not designated for camping but only put into
existence by usage, knowing their location might still be useful.

We could be using the "informal" modifier for places like this, which I use
on paths as well.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:informal

Just "informal=yes" together with tourism=camp_site doesn't sound right
though, I'd probably use something different as main tag to stronger
distinguish these features, e.g. leisure=camp_spot or tourism=camp_spot to
make clear it is a smaller place. When there is a recognizable and
reasonably secure spot to light a fire you could add additional feature
like http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dfirepit

cheers,
Martin