Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Feb 24 10:46:03 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 3:59 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>> they're just there because enough people have camped in the same spot.
>

> +0,9
> actually people (if not completely ignorant) tend to camp in spots that
> are suitable to do so. Those will not be the only possibility, naturally,
> but they will typically provide good conditions (view, even terrain, enough
> space, protected from wind and weather, sunny / shady, accessible, ...), so
> even if those spots are not designated for camping but only put into
> existence by usage, knowing their location might still be useful.

Especially since low-impact campers will usually try to pick a spot that
has already been impacted in an effort to reduce increasing a manmade
impact footprint (assuming we're not talking Tre Arrow
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tre_Arrow> types), knowing where these are in
advance can be handy.  Such a spot can be found at the hook end of NFD 4420
in the MHNF near http://osm.org/go/WILBqCsE--?m= (which, coincidentally,
someone should check to see who is deleting vast shitloads of tracks in
that forest, since I know there was far, far, far more NFD routes in there
than appear on OSM now, and I know NFD 44 is littered with all kinds of
four-digit branches, largely ungated and open.  I suspect some vandalism or
a potentially accidental deletion may have been in play.

BTW, I based on local knowledge, I recommend* not* attempting to ground
survey this until June or July as Dufur Valley Road (NFD 44) is not plowed
by the Forest Service at all, full length.  The Boy Scouts of America do
plow from Heimrich Street in Dufur, Oregon to NFD 4460 (Camp Baldwin's
driveway) for the livability of their camp ranger, who is there
year-round.  The ~11 mile segment west of 4460 to OR 35 is impassable until
the thaw, often well into June assuming the BSA doesn't plow open the west
end to avoid a  lengthy detour for summer camp troops around on I 84 to
loop back to Dufur and come up from the other side in years with a long
winter.  (Can you tell I've spent way too long on 44?)

> We could be using the "informal" modifier for places like this, which I
> use on paths as well.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:informal
>
> Just "informal=yes" together with tourism=camp_site doesn't sound right
> though, I'd probably use something different as main tag to stronger
> distinguish these features, e.g. leisure=camp_spot or tourism=camp_spot to
> make clear it is a smaller place. When there is a recognizable and
> reasonably secure spot to light a fire you could add additional feature
> like http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dfirepit

I think a freestanding campsite using the established tag (but not within a
campground or caravan site) should suffice.