[Tagging] Does oneway:bicycle apply to cycleway=track?

715371 osmu715371 at gmx.de
Wed Feb 25 22:56:52 UTC 2015

Am 25.02.2015 um 22:20 schrieb Hubert:
> The implied problem in your question is how to interpret a (main) tag on an osm_way. Does it only apply to the carriageway/driving lanes or to the whole street which also includes cycleways, sidewalks, etc ? Just consider the width=* or lanes=* tags.

Is there any propsal for width?

lanes=* is a good example. It does only count the number of lanes for
cars, those for bicycles are not counted and at bicycle:lanes=* each
bicycle lane is associated to a lane for motor vehicles.

> Yet, I wouldn't go so far as to declare it "wrong" tagging, but I personally would not tag oneway:bicycle=no on such streets as describes by you. Instead I would add cycleway:oneway=no to the osm_way and avoid the issue.

I am using a tagging like

cycleway:right:oneway=no

if it was only applied to a single side.

cycleway:oneway=no

if it was applied to all cycleways. If there is only
cycleway:right=track, the above cycleway:oneway=no would mean the same
as cycleway:right:oneway=no.

> (On cycleway=opposite_track I'd use cycleway:oneway=-1)

Sounds good, but may be there exists something like a default? I cannot
find any combinations with taginfo. But may be this is interesting. For
cycleway=opposite the majority of uses is without oneway:bicycle. So
there may be that oneway case included as default, too.

But if you think about the tagging, than oneway=* applies to everything
of the highway except pedestrians. So if there is an exception to the
way you would look in second instance for those oneway:*=* tags and make
your decision. In the other case you have to check for each possibility
what mappers may have tagged on the way e.g.

cycleway:both:oneway
cycleway:left:oneway
cycleway:right:oneway
cycleway:oneway
cycleway=opposite
cycleway=opposite_lane
cycleway=opposite_track

Whether it applies to the carriageway or a cycle track may be concluded
from other tags, too. For example cycleway=opposite implies
oneway:bicycle is applied to the carriageway and a penalty for cars.
cycleway:freedom_of_choice=no or cycleway:obligatory=yes would imply
that oneway:bicycle does not matter for cars.