[Tagging] Breakdown bays?

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 08:09:09 UTC 2015

> On 25/02/2015 16:41, Martin Vonwald wrote:
>
>> I don't think of them as lanes, so I wouldn't use some :lanes-tag. I
>> thought that there is already a tag, that I simply put on the road for
>> the length of the bay - just like e.g. sidewalk=right. But that's
>> obviously not the case and it is not possible with highway=emergency_bay.
>>
>> When tagged as node I lose the length. Tagging as separate way seem
>> counter-intuitive - there is no separate road. Tagging as area seems...
>> strange ;-)
>>

> Well, we already have the approved feature http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/
> wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpassing_place for features of a very similar physical
> nature but for a different purpose. The consistent solution is to use
> highway=emergency_bay on nodes in the same way as for passing places.

Consistent, but missing details.

> And why do you want that kind of details? If it is tagged as emergency_bay
> you know it is big enough for a broken down vehicle. That is the only
> information you really need if you are having car problems.

We do not tag for broken cars ;-)

> And adding an attribute to a short section of highway just results in
> further (in my opinion unnecessary) fragmentation of highways.

There are many different opinions on that matter. If an attribute of the
road changes, I split.

> If you really want to add the length you could use maxlength=* for the
> maximum vehicle length fitting in the bay.

Why measure the length and add a tag instead of simply putting a tag along
the bay on the road? That seems a little bit too complicated to me.

> That would also be easier for data consumers to process.

Are you speaking for all data consumers?

Yesterdays solutions might not work tomorrow.

Best regards,
Martin