[Tagging] Breakdown bays?

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 25 18:56:03 UTC 2015

On 25/02/2015 16:41, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> I don't think of them as lanes, so I wouldn't use some :lanes-tag. I
> thought that there is already a tag, that I simply put on the road for
> the length of the bay - just like e.g. sidewalk=right. But that's
> obviously not the case and it is not possible with highway=emergency_bay.
>
> When tagged as node I lose the length. Tagging as separate way seem
> counter-intuitive - there is no separate road. Tagging as area seems...
> strange ;-)

Well, we already have the approved feature
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpassing_place for
features of a very similar physical nature but for a different purpose.
The consistent solution is to use highway=emergency_bay on nodes in the
same way as for passing places.

And why do you want that kind of details? If it is tagged as
emergency_bay you know it is big enough for a broken down vehicle. That
is the only information you really need if you are having car problems.
And adding an attribute to a short section of highway just results in
further (in my opinion unnecessary) fragmentation of highways. If you
really want to add the length you could use maxlength=* for the maximum
vehicle length fitting in the bay. That would also be easier for data
consumers to process.

Ole