[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Reception Desk

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:44:29 UTC 2015

On 8/02/2015 11:11 PM, AYTOUN RALPH wrote:
> I have to admit I admire the problem but do not have an answer.
> What I would like to suggest that dropping the "desk" part and just
> using "reception" could make it more conducive to the various
> applications being discussed.
> It could then be added as a subcategory to the area/building such as
> reception=desk...reception=area.......reception=kiosk.. and would
> accommodate the problem of more than one type of reception within a
> complex such as an hotel
I have always come across receptions .. as having a desk. And a person.
Usually with a phone, brochures for information on the facility they
service.
> (reception=tourism...reception=hotel). Or at an airport complex where
> multiple receptions exist such as hotel, car hire,etc.

Each of those are in separate places in the airport complex. And are
receptions for different services .. probably indicated by sub tags ..
name= operator=?
> Using this would then also not clash with the amenity tag.

Won't they then 'clash' with each other? Whatever sheme is used there
will be clashes, where the clash is by location then simply separate
them by distance - OSM resolution is something like 50mm.
> Hope I am not adding more confusion to the problem.
> Ralph (RAytoun)
>
> On 8 February 2015 at 10:33, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de
> <mailto:andig88 at t-online.de>> wrote:
>
>             As
>             >this tag is always going to be used within another entity
>             I think we should
>             >rather look towards something like indoor tagging or
>             other subtags. In
>             >addition using amenity for reception desk would for
>             example prevent you from
>             >placing it on the node of the amenity and use one node
>             for both.
>
>         Not to defend the amenity key, but I wonder if there is a need
>         to tag
>         the reception if the whole object (including the reception)
>         deserves
>         just a single node.
>

>     Well, you could have an amenity inside a very large bulding where
>     you have multiple entrances. Then you could use the amenity node
>     to indicate that it's actually placed at a certain spot, because
>     the reception is there. In addition it makes it clear to which
>     amenity the reception desk belongs, as a different amenity in the
>     same building could have the reception desk at the other side of
>     the bulding.

Multiple reception desks in the same area would probably be operated for
different businesses .. thus would be identified by the sub tags of
name=, operator= ... ?