[Tagging] bridge=movable?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:42:21 UTC 2015

> Hi
>
> What's the purpose of bridge=movable?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bridge:movable
>
> It's good that the different types of bridge are tagged & the graphics are
> excellent, but I'm unsure why they need to be separated to a sub tag.
>
> bridge=movable
> bridge:movable=swing
>
> gives bridge=swing
>
> If there is a genuine reason, then surely there should be the equivalent:
>
> bridge=static
> bridge:static=*

for the bridge attribute (the tag bridge on a highway which states that
this highway is on a bridge) it might actually make sense to be not too
detailed. "movable" could be seen as a simple variant to say that the way
is not always usable, there is not necessarily need to be very explicit
here and more generalization might facilitate data use. Detailed bridge
descriptions like the name of the bridge, the construction material and
structural typology, the start date, wikipedia references, designing
engineer etc. should IMHO all go to a dedicated bridge object and not on
the road (e.g. man_made=bridge [1])

Please also see this approved proposal:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Bridge_types

cheers,