[Tagging] tagging very wide steps - highway=steps on an area?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:56:31 UTC 2015

> I understand that but I have still the problem with my stairs. Did you
> take a look at the pictures ? (Sorry, not the best ones).
>
> Problem is that on one side there is a sloped road and steps get fewer
> and fewer until the last two end. Aditionally one the top there were two
> steps which had an own shape and only some part in common direction with
> the other steps.

The main part (the lower one) of these is simple and it seems can be mapped
with one area relation and 2 ways (1 upper 1 lower), but the 2 single steps
(or maybe I should say detached steps, because they obviously are somehow
part of the whole stairs) pose a problem. I guess we lack a good method to
map single steps, e.g. a single way with appropriate tagging, which would
be drawn along the riser. barrier=retaining_wall (e.g. together with a
height tag) comes close geometrically, but seems missleading in general ;-)

cheers,
Martin