[Tagging] tagging very wide steps - highway=steps on an area?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Feb 28 03:53:25 UTC 2015

> On Feb 27, 2015, at 8:09 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  I read the wiki entry on steps (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dsteps) and the discussion page,
>>
>> and besides the discussion on which direction means uphill (that really needs to be decided),
>

> I had assumed for years that the direction pointing upwards was a commonly agreed on standard, being myself an architect I hadn't expected this to be questionable, but as I got so much flak from people insisting on the other way round, I now am adding the tag incline=up to all steps. This way you remove any ambiguity and introduce some further stability also for cases where the way direction gets inverted. No need for any (IMHO unachievable) decision any more ;-)

We need to have this standardized - just  like waterways and walls - ascent or descent should be implicit in path direction.

There should be a standardized.

If that is impossible, then at least the ascent/descent tags should be standardized-

Ascent=yes / reverse or -1 or however the one way tag works, or the direction=ascent /descent or incline or something - just anything that's standardized.

>> can I use steps to define an area, just like highway=pedestrian?
>

> There is the area relation proposal which deals explicitly with this (type=area), but it isn't supported by any data consumer AFAIK.
> Please note that you have to create a new relation for every continuous part of stairs (i.e. the stair landings are not included).
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Area#Area-steps.2C_steps_which_are_wide_and.2For_irregular
>
> Might sound complicated but it is actually quite easy to model:
>
> 1. create an empty relation and add the tags:
> type=area
> highway=steps
> (and more like step_count, surface, etc.)
>
> 2. draw the upper delimiting way of the steps (border where the last riser is) and add it with the role "upper" to the relation
>
> 3. draw the lower delimiting way (border where the first riser is) and add it with the role "lower" to the relation
>
> done.
>
> if you want you can
>
> 4. draw the lateral boundaries and add them with the role "lateral" to the relation (suggested for non-linear lateral boundaries only).

Is that something I can do in iD? I'll have to read up about relations. I've only ever edited a couple, and that didn't exactly go well.

Javbw