[Tagging] Power networks European codification scheme

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 09:05:33 UTC 2015

> I'm not sure how these codes could benefit OSM.

It's been a long time we need unique codes to identify infrastructure
features (or group of features) instead of their own OSM ID (when you
delete something and redraw it, the ID has changed, not the EIC code).
Finding an identification scheme at such a large scale is not so easy.

A second benefit is to talk the same language as other DB or systems
instead of creating our own way to distinguish objects.

> They seem to be mostly for use in transactions between entities such as
> TSO's and would have little public interest, even for power grid 'nerds'
> like me.

According to what is said above, I respectably disagree.

> Further, from where would you get these codes (with an odbl compatible
> license)? I have never seen such codes used on public websites of TSO's and
> power companies. And I don't think they label substations, power plants
> with such codes at the gates so you can't get them from surveys.

The EIC scheme is yet young.
The power market has been driven for years by a strong opendata movement
and it's possible to ask ENSTO-E to publish their codes under OdBL license.

The goal of my original question isn't to start publishing codes in OSM
immediately but to find the best key to do it and to be ready when the time
comes.

Cheers

*François Lacombe*

fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com