[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - addrN:*

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Sat Jan 17 22:11:23 UTC 2015

On 16.01.2015 05:48, Ineiev wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>> you could use polygons (e.g. 2 distinct multipolygons, one for each
>> address), and add a note to inform your fellow mapping colleagues that the
>> overlap is intended (note is not needed but nice).
>
> I think this solution has an essential advantage: distinct
> multipoligons with single addr:housenumbers can go do distinct
> associatedStreet relations. you can't do it with addrN:; and
> the mapper may want to use associatedStreet e.g. because
> it provides a way to specify parallel addresses in different
> languages (I believe, this feature is used in countries like Ukraine).

If we need language versions for the street name, we'll probably need them
for city names (Kiyev/Kiyiv) etc. too. So you'll not only need an
associatedStreet relation, but also an associatedCity relation.

You can (mis-)use the addrN schema for that purpose:

addr:city=<ukrainian city name>
addr:street=<ukrainian street name>
addr:housenumber=123
addr:2:city=<russian city name>
addr:2:street=<russian street name>
addr:2:housenumber=123

The number of tags multiplies with the number of street/housenumber
combinations, but that may still be simpler than congruent housenumber
polygons all of which are member of several associatedSomething relations.

I think that the best solution may be:

addr:city=<ukrainian city name>
addr:city:ru=<russian city name>
addr:street=<ukrainian street name>