[Tagging] Wiki Edit War on using/avoiding semicolon lists

jgpacker john.packer7 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:53:52 UTC 2015

> route_ref="(^|.+;)26(;.+|$)"
I haven't tested this, but usually you can safely remove the ".+",
shortening it to route_ref="(^|;)26(;|$)"  i.e. start of string OR
semicolon, followed by 26, followed by end of string OR semicolon.
You can further shorten it to route_ref="26" if you don't need to make sure
that it's only 26 instead of X26, 26Y, X26Y or similar (which I believe is
more common in semicolon-separated lists that are not numbers).

I still find it better than to search in JOSM for something like
route_ref:"^26$" OR route_ref1:"^26$" OR route_ref2:"^26$"
Yes, you would need to explicitly search for every alternative because most
tools don't have support for regexes in the left side of the tag (i.e. the
key).

Cheers,
John