[Tagging] Overhead signs (Überkopfwegweiser)

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 21:14:28 UTC 2015

> To map:
> Put a node on the way of the street exactly where the sign is located
> and tag it something like this:
>
> overhead-sign=|| Brno, Gänserndorf, Stadlau [A23]; | Praha [A23]; / Kagran
> [B3];
> > Ölhafen Lobau
>
> * with the arrows represented by:
>
>     |  ....   up arrow
>     /  ....   slight right arrow
>     >  ....   turn right arrow
>     \  ....   slight left arrow
>     <  ....   turn left arrow
>
> * the text indicates the text that is written on the sign
>   (the text should match any destination= tags given on exits)
>
> * refs are given within square brackets [...]
>
> * a semiconlon ; separates the arrows
>
> This gives a router the possibility to show a drawing of
> the sign, depending on the direction:
>

> Of course this should match the information given in any lane tags,
> but it gives the exact position of the sign and it works without
> the need of lane tags! That way it should be much easier for
> routing app developers to implement hints which lane to use.

I prefer the existing destination:lanes and turn:lanes tagging, which
already provides enough data for a lane assistant (and which is already a
bit difficult for novice mappers).
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Destination_details

For the driver, it's simpler to match the sign given by the app
> with the real sign.

You do have a point on photorealistic signpost view. At the time this was
written:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Destination_details#Photorealistic_signpost_view
Mapillary didn't exist yet. It might be useful to have a node at the
location of the signpost referring to a Mapillary photo. Like this:
mapillary=http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/TpBBU2PzDPfO4lWNGfTSJg
This will provide support to both a map and a smartphone routing app

Cheers, Johan