[Tagging] Tagging Voting system- time for reform?

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 13:07:49 UTC 2015

Hi!

> There seems to be conflation of this list as having some kind of
> administrative function. It doesn't.
>
> This isn't an OSMF working group, it's a discussion list, and as such
> there is no administrative function for this list beyond the
> boundraries of the voting process on the wiki.
>
> In OSM, "official" tags have no greater status than unofficial ones.

Fully agree.
I want to quote one of our core values: "OSM is not a hierarchical
organisation; almost everything can be done without need for central
sanction or even post-hoc approval."

If you'd want to change that, you'd need to change things in OSM at a
> far more fundamental level, and (frankly), I'd be very hesistant to
> see this happen.

If someone wants to change this and actually succeeds, I'll not be around
here any more. And I guess I won't be the only one.

> I do think there'd be value in some practical tagging cleanup- moving
> from 2-3 tags meaning the same thing to a single tag, through some
> agreed-on process,

Fully agree.

> but I don't think this is the right forum for it.

Isn't it? Well, then at least it should be.

Best regards,
Martin