[Tagging] Deprecation of associatedStreet-relations

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 21:26:06 UTC 2015

On 25/01/2015, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> My experience is that it is very hard to place every house in the right
> relation before you know the actual address. Especially with corner houses
> and in rural areas where the driveways to the farms do not always connect
> to the street with the address.
> Another problem is that the street endings in OSM might be wrong, so you
> have to move houses from one relation to another after your survey.
>
> At least that are cases that I have encountered during my surveys. Hope
> that you do not have to do this.

That has happened to me a couple of times (it certainly depends on the
part of the world you're mapping in), but is rare enough that this
workflow is still a big time saver. Changing the relation a house
belongs to in Vespucci is a bit annoying, but stil easy enough that it
can be done at surey time.

One type of armchair mapping error that I do much more often is wrong
splitting of joined buildings. For those, fixing in Vespucci is too
much of a pain so I add a "fixme" tag on the building instead, and do
a quick post-survey fixes changeset with JOSM.