[Tagging] RFD pipeline sub tag substance

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 11:57:03 UTC 2015

> So for natural gas worked out to that basic level, as one example, that
> would be
> substance = gas
> gas=fuel
> fuel=natural_gas

I believe this is pointlessly complicated and semantically incorrect, why
not tag:

substance=natural_gas

> None of this colon/semicolon business that has got people so worked up :)
> And it may reduce the errors of tagging things like
>
> substance=fuel

"fuel" is not a substance but describes a purpose (stuff to provide heat
and/or power by combustion). You might see this as a common informal way to
refer to gasoline / petrol but I wouldn't advocate something like this for
a tagging scheme.

substance = liquid
> liquid=water
> water=drinking (or potable?)
> Other ideas?  Kick them around guys.. brainstorm it.

substance=water
drinkable=yes

if you want the "liquid" information, use
aggregate_state=liquid
IMHO for pipelines it would be more interesting to tag the pressure and the
inner diameter of the tube.

Cheers,
Martin