[Tagging] waterway=stream & oneway=1

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 4 20:30:18 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 21:57, Mike Thompson wrote:
> Is it really necessary for a way that is tagged waterway=stream to also
> be tagged oneway=1? Isn't this implied?

The oneway tag doesn't indicate the flow direction but is a restriction
that applies to boat or ship traffic on the waterway. Thus if it is set
to oneway=yes it means that boats may only sail in the downstream
direction. Such a restriction is found on small rivers in Denmark having
a lot of canoeing tourists.

Anyway, oneway=1 is deprecated and should be replaced by oneway=yes.
Furthermore, I suspect that the tag in this case might indeed be an
erronous attempt to indicate flow direction.

Ole / opani