[Tagging] Feature proposal - Voting - Wedding Reception

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 11:14:07 UTC 2015

On 8/07/2015 8:49 PM, Warin wrote:
> On 8/07/2015 5:27 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>>
>>     Voting for this 'property' is now open.
>>
>>     Wedding Reception Definition: A place where a social event is
>>     held after the completion of a wedding ceremony.
>>
>>     Note that it is a 'property' rather than a key:value (what I call
>>     a sub tag). It may be applied to any key:value examples;
>>
>>     building=yes
>>     wedding_reception=yes
>>
>>     leisure=park
>>     wedding_reception=yes
>>

>> Are wedding receptions special with regard to other private
>> celebrations like birthdays, baptisms, anniversaries, presentations?
> They look to be separated by the venues .
> https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/welcome/royal_botanic_garden/weddings_and_venues/weddings
>
>> What is the criterion for wedding_reception=yes (i.e. is it
>> sufficient that there once was a wedding reception, or do they have
>> to occur frequently?).
> There are vast belief/cultural difference across the globe for
> weddings and their receptions!!!
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_reception
>
>> In general I believe something more generic like event_space (or
>> maybe a little more specific) would be better, because wedding
>> reception places (at least the ones I am aware of) typically also can
>> be used for other kind of celebrations.
>
> I wish to remove the possibility of a mapper looking for a tag for a
> wedding reception using the proposed
> reception/reception_point/reception_area by error.
>
> I could simple create a wiki page with that title and direct them to a
> generic tag .. but a google on wedding reception shows the popularity
> of this function.
>
> Google search numbers
> wedding reception 169,000,000
> Birthday venues      75,800,000
> anniversary venue   59,500,000
> presentation venue  86,800,000
>
> So wedding venues look to be about twice the numbers of the others...
>
> For comparison the OSM tag amenity=music_venue has 91,000,000 google
> search numbers (searched for music venue)... And yes a music venue
> might also be used for other things too.
>
> Google search on event venue returns 292,000,000 results .. I don't
> think all of them would be suitable for a wedding reception.And the
> numbers are about half those of wedding reception.
>
> ? What do you think? :-\

One other thing .. the draft proposal for amenity=events_venue is for "a
stand alone facility" and shows a photo of a building.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Devents_venue

What about when the 'event' is in a garden, a park, a mountain top or on
a beach? These places are not "stand alone" and some are used by the
public at other times.

e.g.
https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/welcome/royal_botanic_garden/weddings_and_venues/weddings

A restaurant may hold a wedding reception (in a separated room but
probably a common entry) ... and so you have the situation where on OSM
you have
amenity=restaurant
with the tag
amenity=event_venue?

Needs more thinking on the event_venue thing.

But I think there are enough wedding reception venues to have there own
tag?

A range of examples can be found here
http://www.i-do.com.au/wedding-services/waterfront-venues/sydney/

A dojo, a beach, a hotel, a fort (in the middle of Sydney Harbour), a
zoo, and on.
there is a very large variety... I think it is a property tag .. not a
key:feature tag.